Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Paper work

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    1,009
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    One thing I have learned about film making...there is so much bureaucracy involved...call sheets, permits, production packages, equipment booking sheets on top of storyboards, scripts, shotlists, treatments, recces etc...godamn...what do you guys make of it? I find it very sapping.



    ------------------
    Remember kids, Mr. Skin is here to make you think.

  2. #2
    Ralph Snart
    Guest Ralph Snart's Avatar

    Post

    Like learning any other complex subject that involves a process, you just have to develop your own style and system or find someone who has one that works and immitate theirs.

    Then keep using it until it becomes second nature.

    In your spare time, (ha ha) you might try reading a book or two about your favorite directors.

    Mine is "The Dark Side of Genius" about Alfred Hitchcock.

    ISBN 0-345-31462-X

    ------------------

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    1,009
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, but don't you find it detracts from the actual "fun" of film making?

    Oh heck I'm probably the only one here who even does this shit. Nobody else even went to film school...sigh...

    ------------------
    Remember kids, Mr. Skin is here to make you think.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Kathy S's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 29th, 2001
    Posts
    304
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    well I went to 'television school' found out the course was crap and left. As you will probaly find in a month or 2- but maybe you will stick around. Dunno- maybe it wsa just my course.

    Kathy

    Ps- get production assistants/ corrodinators and managers to do all the boring stuff- leave your mind free to do the creative stuff.

    ------------------

  5. #5
    Ralph Snart
    Guest Ralph Snart's Avatar

    Post

    Not really as proper handeling of the logistics leads to fewer frustraitions in the end.

    Like remembering to take the lens cap off then put it back on.

    Especially- If you plan to do this for a living or on a large scale with a number of people working for you and it has to be in the can by such and such a date.

    It goes back to what I said before about

    The talent: (actors, musicians, script writers)

    The labor: (set builders, editor, etc)

    And

    The Commodity: In Hitchcock's case he was the commodity because he was the one with the vision of how the film should look feel and sound.

    And he knew how to get this from his people.

    From what I have read, when Hitchcock actually started production he and his core staff of assistants had every possible detail worked out.

    Additionally he was always planning two or three pictures ahead with spur of the moment experiments using the existing cast and crew.

    Learn the rules, then you can bend or break them and know why.

    Ralph


    u

    ------------------

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Thousanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've never really messed with that stuff that much. I'm directing a film this winter that actually has a budget so I guess I'll have to mess with it, but I'll handle that road when I come to it. I the meantime all I can say is that I find filmmaking very enjoyable and if you find yourself not enjoying it, you either need to find another hobby/job or simplify things down until you do enjoy it.

    My humble opinion

    ------------------
    My hit list, First draft: 1. Gen. , 2. Chance1234, 3. LAmind, 4. Ralph Snart, 5. miker, 6. eddie, 7. GrizzAdams 8. Kathy S. 9. Littlerich 10. Thread Killa.
    These s may be subject to change.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    1,009
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh I'll stick it out Kathy. Its so hard to get in, what a waste it would be to leave.

    I love film making. I really enjoy it when a script really comes together and everyone on the crew is excited and motivated to make it a success.

    And i'm not afraid of paperwork. I'm terrified.

    No. There's just an awful lot. I guess one day as "The Greatest Irish Director of All Time"tm, I'll find plenty of people to do it for me. Watch your back Mr Jordan!

    ------------------
    Remember kids, Mr. Skin is here to make you think.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member deanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 29th, 2000
    Posts
    1,082
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey there.

    "The talent: (actors, musicians, script writers)"

    "The labor: (set builders, editor, etc)"

    Editing is all about talent my friend. So is set building for that matter.

    Despin out

    ------------------
    "Ive got bad feeling about this."

    [This message has been edited by Despin entertainment (edited October 28, 2001).]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    1,009
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Got agree with Despin. Editing requires a lot more talent than labour. Wonder how I missed it. I must have been asleep.

    ------------------
    Watch your back Mr Jordan!

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member miker's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 16th, 1999
    Posts
    2,621
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    Editing -- depends. Some editor's are button pressers, therefore labour.

    My view on the whole subject is that the process has evolved over the last 100 years -- you would be a fool to ignore it entirely since there is a reason that method has/is so successful.

    Very very few people are lucky enough to be picked up on raw talent alone.

    ------------------
    N305UDB M173UBM
    (B55VOR)
    (WGO963W)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •